Senior home evacuated after accidental fire

SILVERDALE - Firefighters say unattended food on a stove is to blame for a small fire at a senior housing complex in Silverdale.

Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue were called to the Vintage Senior Housing in Silverdale around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday evening for a structure fire.  When they arrived, they found heavy smoke in the third floor hallway in several of the buildings.

Occupants on the third floor were evacuated as a precaution due to the smoke.

Firefighters say a woman had been cooking when she left the room and lost track of time. She returned to the kitchen to find a fire on her stove.

She initially tried to smother the flames with towels before grabbing a dry chemical extinguisher and putting out the fire.

No one was injured in the incident.