PASCO, Wash. (AP) — The Franklin County prosecutor says the family of the man fatally shot Feb. 10 by Pasco police has requested a second, independent autopsy.
Prosecutor Shawn Sant said Thursday that his office is ready to release the body of Antonio Zambrano-Montes, 35, and welcomes the request.
The Tri-City Herald reports (http://is.gd/mThxYe ) that a forensic pathologist performed one autopsy last week. Details have not been disclosed.
Zambrano-Montes' widow and two daughters have filed a $25 million claim with the city in the first step toward a lawsuit.
A special 15-member police unit is investigating the shooting. The three Pasco officers involved have been placed on leave.
Franklin County Coroner Dan Blasdel plans to conduct a special inquest.
Sant will ultimately decide whether criminal charges should be filed against the police officers.
Meanwhile, investigators are asking the public to provide more social media images and witness accounts of the fatal police shooting that has sparked a series of protests in Pasco.
They also asked for patience as they seek more information about the victim, an unarmed Mexican man who ran from officers after reportedly throwing rocks at them.
At a news conference Thursday, the spokesman for the regional special investigations unit probing the shooting said video from patrol cars and witnesses is being examined.
Sgt. Ken Lattin of the nearby Kennewick Police Department said videos continue to arrive, and he asked for more contributions from people who saw the Feb. 10 shooting at a busy Pasco intersection.
Pasco police say Zambrano-Montes was shot after he threw rocks at officers and refused to put down other stones.
Multiple videos of the shooting have popped up online. Q13 FOX News has not linked to the video because it is extremely graphic. But here is a link to the video if you wish to view it.