SEATTLE - The King County Regional Housing Authority (KCRHA) has expanded shelter hours, and activated emergency funds and supplies as temperatures start to fall below freezing.
Temperatures are forecast to fall below 32 degrees this coming week, and for people experiencing homelessness, these make for dangerous conditions. To that end, KCRHA activated ‘Tier 2’ severe weather response protocols from Sunday, Nov. 6 through Friday, Nov. 11.
According to KCRHA procedure, ‘Tier 2’ activates when temperature highs are forecast below 40 degrees for three days in a row, lows are forecast at 35, or there is rain or snow greater than two inches. ‘Tier 3’ activates when highs are below 35 and lows are below 30.
The Compass Day Center at 210 Alaskan Way S will expand hours from 7 a.m.–7 p.m. and increase capacity to 60 beds. Organizations can request emergency funding for clothing, sleeping bags, blankets, handwarmers and food.
Regular operating hours for local shelters are as follows:
- The Salvation ArmyJefferson Day Center (4th & Jefferson): 7 a.m.–5 p.m. dailyWhite Center Community Center (9050 16th Ave SW): 8 a.m.–7 p.m. M–F, 10:45 a.m.–12 p.m. Sunday
- Seattle Indian Center Day Center (624 S. Dearborn St): 8:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m. M–F
- Compass Day Center (77 S Washington St): 7 a.m.–3:30 p.m. M–F
- Immanuel Community Services (1215 Thomas St): 8 a.m.–2 p.m. M–F
- Urban Rest StopsBallard (2014-B NW 57th St): 6:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m. M–FDowntown (1924 Ninth Avenue): 5:30 p.m.–9:30 p.m. M–F, 8 a.m.–3 p.m. Sat–Sun
- Chief Seattle Club Day Center (410 2nd Ave. Ext S.): 7 a.m.–2 p.m. M–F
- Aurora Commons (8914 Aurora Ave N.): 10 a.m.–1 p.m. M–Th
- Bread of Life Mission (97 South Main St.): 9:30 a.m.–3 p.m. M–F
- Elizabeth Gregory Home (1604 NE 50th St.): 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Sun–Fri, women only
- Mary’s Place Day Center (1830 Ninth Ave): 7 a.m.–3:30 p.m. M–F, women/women with children only
- YouthCareOrion Center (1828 Yale Ave): 3:30pm – 7:00pm M/W/Th/F, and 11 a.m.–1 p.m. Sat, youth 12–24 onlyUDYC (4516 15th Ave. NE): 8 a.m.–4 p.m. M/T/Th/F, 8 a.m.–1 p.m. Wed, 9 a.m.–1 p.m. Sun, youth 12–24 onlySouth Seattle (9416 Rainier Ave S): 24 hours daily, closed 12:45–3 p.m. Wed, youth 12–24 only
- Street Youth Ministries (4540 15th Ave NE): 10 a.m.–3 p.m. M/T, 10:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m. W/Th/F
- New Horizons Ministries (2709 3rd Ave): 3 p.m.–9 p.m. M–Th, youth 13–25 only
Officials say depending on how serious the weather gets, they may activate ‘Tier 3’ protocols, which may lead them to expanded day and overnight center capacity.