Firefighters: Bacon grease caused Snohomish county house fire

Snohomish County Firefighters said a fire that caused $100,000 in damage to a home started in the kitchen.

The home caught fire at 9 p.m. Sunday night at a two-story house in the 13600 block of Beverly Road in unincorporated Snohomish County.

“He reported he had been heating bacon fat on the stove top and it had ignited, setting the kitchen on fire,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

A man in the house and his friend, along with two dogs, safely escaped.  Firefighters rescued a cat from the home. It was taken to a veterinary clinic to be checked out.

The home is now uninhabitable.  The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office said the resident had insurance and planned to stay with friends.



Fire District 1 offers these tips to prevent cooking fires: