Fire officials: Hoquiam family escaped fire with dog's help

HOQUIAM, Wash. (AP) — Fire officials in Hoquiam say a family was able to escape a burning home early Wednesday because a dog barked and alerted them to the fire.

Hoquiam Fire Capt. Tim Smith tells KBKW Radio that the dog woke the family before smoke filled their East Hoquiam home. He says the home's fire alarm went off only after firefighters had arrived on scene around 3 a.m.

No injuries were reported. The fire started in the ceiling area where structural wood ignited against a hot chimney, KBKW reports. 

The fire was contained to the room of origin.