Family of six hospitalized after carbon monoxide exposure

ISSAQUAH, Wash. -- A van, accidentally left idling in a garage overnight, caused a family of six to suffer carbon monoxide poisoning, Eastside Fire investigators said Saturday morning.

Crews were called to NE Eagle Way, in Issaquah, shortly before 7:30 a.m.

When firefighters arrived, they found four adults and two children showing signs of exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide.

None of the victims lost consciousness. All six were taken to the hospital for treatment.

Investigators measured carbon monoxide levels inside the home at roughly 15 times the acceptable amount. In the garage, those readings soared even higher.

The first responders to arrive on the scene reported headaches related to carbon monoxide exposure. Three firefighters were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

HAZMAT teams worked throughout the morning to ventilate the home. Roads in the area remained closed for several hours.

Fire investigators said they did not find any carbon monoxide detectors installed inside the home.

Experts recommend changing the batteries on all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as part of seasonal home maintenance.