Electrical fire forces the evacuation of ice skating rink

KENT, Wash. (AP) — A Kent ice skating rink has reopened following a small fire on Sunday.

Puget Sound Fire responded to a sprinkler alarm at 11:30 a.m. Sunday at the Kent Valley Ice Centre.

The report was upgraded to a commercial building fire after it was reported that smoke was coming from the compressor room used for the ammonia-based cooling system.

Staff at the facility safely evacuated everyone from the building. There were no injuries.

Firefighters found a large electrical panel that had caught fire. They quickly extinguished the blaze and there was no danger of an ammonia leak.