WAUNA, Wash. -- Public health officials are urging residents in the Lake of the Woods Community Club to boil their water after potentially harmful E. coli bacteria was found in the water system.
According to the Washington State Department of Health, E. coli was detected in a routine water sample taken October 17th.
The residential community's water system serves 324 homes.
The Department of Health says it is working closely with the water system's operator to find the contamination source.
The agency advises residents to boil any tap water they will use for drinking, preparing food, washing dishes, brushing teeth or making ice. To kill germs, heat the water to a brisk boil for one minute, and allow the water to cool before drinking.
Residents who have questions about their water quality can call 253-884-2088 or 253-884-4703.