Apartment building evacuated after carbon monoxide leak detected
TACOMA -- Residents in a large apartment building were evacuated early Friday morning when carbon monoxide monitors detected a gas leak, the Tacoma News Tribune reported.
A resident in the 16-unit apartment complex in the 300 block of North Tacoma Avenue called 911 around 1 a.m. after returning to his apartment and smelling natural gas. Fire crews called to the scene detected a high reading of carbon monoxide, and the building was evacuated.
Fire crews shut off the building's gas after they determine a malfunction with the boiler caused the leak, the News Tribune reported.
Twenty-two building residents stood outside for at least an hour while fire crews worked on the building. All were allowed back in, and the apartment building is slated to replace its boiler.