3 Seattle police officers shot, wounded after robbery call; 1 suspect killed, 2 others in custody

SEATTLE -- Seattle police say three officers were shot Thursday afternoon after responding to a reported robbery.

The shooting occurred near Madison Street and Western Avenue around 1:30 p.m.

One male officer, 30, and one female officer, 42, were taken to Harborview Medical Center, according to Seattle police. The male officer was shot in the chin and chest and was listed at the hospital in serious condition, as of 6:40 p.m. The female officer was struck in the chest, but was wearing a bulletproof vest, and was listed in satisfactory condition; she was released from the hospital Thursday night.

A third officer officer was grazed and suffered a hand injury. He was treated and released from the hospital, police said.

A viewer captured the moment officers carried their fellow officer from a building.

A 19-year-old male suspect was killed and a 17-year-old female suspect was apprehended, police said. The Seattle Police Department announced hours later that a third suspect, a 19-year-old male, had been taken into custody shortly after 6 p.m.

Police said that at 1:18 p.m., officers were called to a robbery at a 7-Eleven convenience store in the 600 block of 1st Avenue after a two suspects—a 17-year-old female and a 19-year-old male armed with a handgun—robbed the store and fled north on 1st Avenue.

"Officers caught up to the suspects within minutes. A struggle ensued and a male officer was struck in the head with a bottle. The male suspect ran to the entryway of an office building in the 900 block of 1st Avenue, where he exchanged gunfire with police. Three officers were struck by gunfire during the incident.

"SPD officers moved their injured colleagues to safety and, set up a perimeter around the building as employees inside were ordered to shelter-in-place.
After clearing pedestrians and motorists from the surrounding streets, SWAT officers entered the building to search for the suspect and any other injured people. During the search, officers found the male suspect, who was deceased."

"Police arrested the 17-year-old female suspect near the building and, after receiving conflicting information, identified a second 19-year-old male involved in the robbery. Police located and arrested the man" at about 6 p.m.

"While the department can confirm that officers did fire their weapons during the incident, the cause of the male suspect’s death will be determined and released by the King County Medical Examiner," the SPD said.


Mayor Ed Murray said he met with both wounded police officers.

"Their attitude was great, they were both smiling, they are speaking, they are with family," Murray said.