12-year-old Auburn boy in serious condition after sparkler bomb explodes in his face

AUBURN -- A 12-year-old boy who suffered burns over 25 percent of his body during a fireworks mishap was listed in serious condition Wednesday at Seattle's Harborview Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The boy, Jordan Bernstine, suffered second-degree burns at about 7:35 p.m. Tuesday near a fireworks stand in the 2600 block of Auburn Way South in Auburn, Valley Regional Fire Authority officials said.

Witnesses said a firework called a sparkler bomb exploded in his face as he was holding it.

Crews encouraged individuals to attend professional fireworks shows, given the dry condition and dangers of fireworks.